Sunday, July 23, 2006

Ode to Dad... Thanks for not killing me!

When I was 5,
you taught me how to ride
a bike, and when I was
taking off, you let go -
but you didn't teach me
how to stop so I crashed
into a thorny bush and
cut up my shins

When I was 10,
you gave me the courage
to try running down a hill,
but I slipped and slid
face first, grazing and
grazing on grass
while gravity laughed
at me

When I was 16,
you side-seat drove me
into nearly plowing the
family car into on-coming
traffic during a suicide
L.A. left turn - to this day
I can still hear the drivers
cursing at me

When I was 21,
I almost drove myself
over a cliff, but was saved
by a guard rail - I called you
in epopletic-eurasuring shock
with my hands shaking like
the San Andreas, but all you did
was calmly, comfort me

For everything you've ever done
for me, and for all the things that
didn't kill me, you have made
me stronger, and hopefully,
some day soon,
I can be a daddy to someone,
and God willing...
...be just like you.

Happy Father's Day!

Love,

Junior ;)

No comments: