Sunday, July 23, 2006

The Bridge Near Joy St.

When I think back to times of felicity,
My thoughts meander back to
the bridge near Joy St. - footloose days,
Five-Star dining on night-time stargazing
always on the menu

She didn't wear no sundry dress,
nor flappy sandals - barefeet was
her favorite mode, face smudged with
the day's dirt her choice of powder,
hair untied, blowing gently across my face

During sweltered days we'd cool our toes
in the river below, cars honking at us to move
out the way, but I was already struck -
why no one warned me of her beauty,
I'll forever thank

As summer winds turned to autumn breeze,
the bridge brought us closer together -
only to tear us away, as I'd have to
return to CA, while she and her coveralls
had to stay in LA

The days stretched to years, so long
ago this memento, but I can still feel the water
flow between my fingers to your hands
touching, caressed, my Tomboy Billie,
out on the bridge near Joy St..

No comments: