Saturday, July 22, 2006

MySpace rant: Why can't I quit you?

I got into this whole blogging thing because of MySpace - and if it wasn't for MySpace, I wouldn't have found my passion for writing again. Like a long lost love reunited, this whirlwind affair has made me recommited to a relationship of scribbling poetry, musings, and thoughts, all for the world to see. Pretty soon, I started to build up a little fan base, which is always cool.

And of course, as the honeymoon closes, I find my love for writing strong, but my love for MySpace is wanning. It's clunky. It's crowded. And half the time, it's filled with banter that's as useless as a straight wingman at a gay bar. Okay, I went a little far with that one.

But for everything I love about it, there's always something there I hate - access to my profile is shoddy, updates are far and in between, and sometimes interaction between peers and newcomers is down-right frustrating when I keep getting bumped off it's massive network (as of writing this, MySpace is at about 98 million users). So I guess I can have MySpace, just not on "my time".

Granted, it's very useful for getting the word around, and it's helped me to reconnect with others that I haven't talked to in ages, but come on! Is all this worth the constant frustration of fighting the system just to see if anyone has added me or has read my stuff?

If MySpace wasn't down today, I'd probably not be blogging here - which I guess is good in a way - perhaps it might be time for me to move out of the college dorm that is MySpace, and see if I can stand on my own two feet, even if I've moved from one fishbowl to, well, another one.

Bottom line is - I don't want to wait in line to write, and if I have to publish somewhere else, so be it. So MySpace, you'll always have a place in my heart, but baby, right now, I just need "My... Space".

No comments: