Monday, August 28, 2006

Going to the Emmys...

Going to the Emmys... Again, can't really go into the details of the how and why, but thought I'd share a day of mine that was anything but the typical Sunday. Of course, it'd probably be nice if I could show you evidence that I really went, however, anything I post that is video and or photo related to the event is against copyright, and I'd get into a lot of trouble. So dear reader, I hope that you can just trust me on this one - I know, you're going out on a limb for me, but hey, I just had to write this so I COULD believe it really happened, so let me indulge for a moment...

Just like the last blog, here's some observations and thoughts on what went on:

1. The logistics of parking has turned into an awesome science of awe and beauty, at least, for the audience attending. We park at another site, a shuttle drives us over to the Awards Ceremony at the Shrine Auditorium, and we are herded like cattle once we get there. However, such precision cannot be said of the limo situation that occurs every year - super-long traffic jams for celebrity's vehicles, and an even longer line at the valet for celebrities to head out once the ceremony is over. It was like we were getting better service than the celebs, which I found hysterically ironic. I guess in Hollywood, VIP is just a three letter acronym for "wait your damn turn."

2. The cast of "Grey's Anatomy" is even hotter in person than on television. I was about 2 feet away from Katherine Heigl when I walked in, and my jacket was almost set ablaze by our proximity. Dare not walk too close to the entire cast, or you will spontaneously combust. Now, I can finally understand first hand why so many people tune in.

3. While viewers at home experienced commercial breaks, we were shown highlights from Emmy's past, a few of which involved Lucille Ball which were quite funny, and there was even one montage that involved the "don't forget to thank your spouse" theme, which showed various people almost forgetting to thank their significant other while giving their acceptance speeches.

4. During the early part of the program, you may have noticed that there were a lot of close up shots of Conan O'Brien and not so many wide shots of the stage area - that's because the flat panel TVs that were on the sides of the stage were going haywire, and I guess they didn't want people at home to think that they didn't have their act together. Also, if you noticed the panel TVs, your eyes aren't deceiving you - they only had a bank of them on stage right, and none on the left. It felt subconsciously, a bit "unbalanced".

5. During the tribute to Aaron Spelling, when they had Farrah, Kate and Jacklyn come out on stage - they either have the greatest makeup and plastic surgeons on Earth, or they haven't aged a day since 1985! It was a surreal moment, and seriously, Jacklyn Smith has not aged at all, period.

6. At the Governor's Ball (the party right after the ceremony held at the Shrine), Heidi Klum's husband, Seal, got up on stage and did an impromptu crooning of "Mona Lisa" for all the guests, sort of like a little tribute for his wife who did not get the Emmy for "Project Runway" - a nice consolation prize, I suppose - but hey, Seal was awesome and the crowd couldn't be happier.

7. People that win an Emmy tend to have a Kung-Fu grip on their trophies. I saw people eat, talk and drink with the things in their hands, never letting them go. While at the Men's room, one winner I noticed even put it on top of the the urinal he was at while he was doing his business. A little freaky? I think so...

8. While I was leaving, one of the writers from the "Daily Show with Jon Stewart" - who won an Emmy - asked if I could help take his picture with his friends on the red carpet. I don't know what they shine the Emmy trophies with, but in the bright lights and the flash from the camera, that thing was glowing - so basically, I don't know whether or not their picture came out all right or not. But I do know that the trophy stands out, guaranteed!

Anyway, those are some of my 2006 Emmy memories that shine most bright in my noggin'. Thanks for reading, and oh, I'll be out of town for a few days, but will be back with new stuff, I promise.

Super Winks!... ;)

No comments: