Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Xmas Day: Frank Lloyd Wright, Eat Your Heart Out!...

For the first time in many, many, years, I engaged with my cousins, niece and nephew in a holiday activity that I hadn't done since I was in the 3rd grade:

Building Gingerbread houses.

Yep, I bet you didn't know I was quite the amateur architect, huh?

Anyway, of the 3 houses made, mine and my nephew's placed 2nd overall based on the family votes at the table.

However, I guess you can say we all won the "Make the biggest mess in the kitchen possible while having a blast" award, and that's the most coveted one of all.

Check it out:


As you can see, we decided to go with the
Single Unit A-Frame Studio Duplex, with matching
2 car garage. We also got kudos on portability,
since ours was the only one that was stable enough to
survive a possible car ride. However, it seemed something
was missing...


Voila! Someone made a Candy Cane Santa Sled to finish
off the roof. Our architectural masterpiece
finally complete!




This house was made by my niece and her mom, the
1st place finishers. Complete with marshmallow snow
in the back, and hard candy walkway in the front, this
was definitely the flashiest of the 3, and my personal
fave -- besides me and my nephew's, of course!



And last but not least, this was made by my cousin and
a family friend's kid -- it was certainly the "little house
that could", collapsing 3 times, yet still managing to be
put back together in some kind of massive high rise/
watchtower configuration. And with all 3 houses,
a Santa can be found on each of the roofs -- I dare ya
to spot them!




But you know what? When you put all 3 of them together,
it does make quite the sweet community!

Shhh!!! Don't tell my cousin, but I think I might want to do
this again next year... ;)

No comments: