Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Jury Duty: Flashback 1 - I should have bought a Lotto that week...

In case you missed it, here's a quick recap on what happened at the beginning:

-I passed through 4 rounds of Jury Group Selection, and at the last possible moment, got called up in the 2nd to the last group of the day
-Got into the courtroom, dismissed 3 jurors, but because I was still in the next group, had to come back to court the following day

Day 2. I lay low into my seat, silently hoping that I wouldn't get picked in the next draw. Only 4 spots left -- two for the Final jury, and two alternates.

The Secretary yells out a few numbers - yes, just like inmates, we're now only referred to by our badge numbers (though I'm sure it's mostly for security and anonymity purposes - note the tinge of sarcasm). 6 people get called up, and I am not one of them. A little reprieve, I think it myself as I take in a breath slowly.

One by one, The Prosecutor scrutinizes each candidate - What do you do? Do you have any biases? Any friends in law enforcement? - that sort of thing. I can feel myself zoning out, but I know I should stay focused.

When the Prosecutor finishes, she only dismisses 2 people from that pick, which means the 4 were locked in.

Or so I thought.

What I forgot to take into consideration are the peremptory challenges that Prosecution and Defense gets. These are basically motions to dismiss perspective jurors with little or no reason as to why - they are simply thanked and excused. The Defense had no challenges of the jury, but Prosecution starts weeding out candidates left and right.

The spot for Juror #8 was taken and vacated 4 times in a row. That means my odds of getting picked were increasing by the minute. By the time Prosecution got done, they had widdled our group down to the last 15 perspective jurors. If I am in the 3rd group in selection, and each group starts with 24, that means that the court has already dismissed over 36 jurors, give or take.

I mean, what kind of case WAS this? Were the stakes for the Prosecution THAT HIGH?

Another group is selected and vetted. Defense has no challenges. Prosecution has no challenges. I am one step closer to finishing my service. I hold my breath as the Judge orders the jurors and the alternates to rise.

The Secretary goes, "Please raise your right hand --"

"Your Honor, WAIT!"

A lone voice from the jury box calls out. Everyone freezes.

All eyes fixate on Juror #7, who has his hand raised. He's a middle-aged Asian man, with an accent of broken English that can be heard a mile away. "I'm sorry, but I was called last minute, and... I only understand 70% of what going on," he says softly.

Oh, shit.

A sidebar is called immediately. The Judge, Attorneys and Juror #7 excuse themselves from the court for a few minutes. People look around, bewilderment on their faces, wondering if this is really happening.

I am wondering if this is really happening.

When they return, Juror #7 is immediately excused for having language difficulties. But as he walked out, a little grin belayed on his lips. I think he just got away with swallowing the canary.

As if that wasn't enough, soon after he left, Juror #5 raised her hand - this time a middle-aged Asian lady - pleaded the EXACT SAME THING! Was this a tactic for getting out of jury duty or what? The Judge dismissed her after she claimed to have language difficulties. Juror #5 walked out of the court, but she had a more sullen expression on her face. I think she wanted to do her duty but in all honesty couldn't. Made me feel like she was telling the truth, at least.

So, after 11 rounds of selection, another round began to replace those last two spots, and guess who's number finally came up?

Not only did I become Juror #7, but ANOTHER Asian lady took Juror #5's place as well! It was like some sort of "entropy of Asians" -- we were slotted in to keep the balance of the legal universe intact among this multi-ethnic jury.

Our vetting took no time at all. Seeing that the trial really needed to hit the pavement, everything after that took off like a rocket blasting off into space. Getting sworn in was all a blur, the Juror duties were speed-read to us, and then we broke for a two hour lunch.

And this was only the beginning.

TO BE CONTINUED... ;)

No comments: