Monday, April 02, 2007

Jury Duty: Day 1 - How To Widdle Time...

**Forgive me, I'm tired from sitting and waiting all day, so this will only be about 70% entertaining**

You can do a whole lot of nothing in 8 hours.

You can talk to your fellow jurors. Or endure a Chatty-Cathy or Talky-Tom who just won't shut up cause they have so much nervous energy they need to pass that along to everyone within earshot.

One woman even brought in her knitting bag -- she was almost done with a beautiful yellow scarf before the end of the day.

Some people, like me, took tiny naps, like we were stuck at an airport transit lounge waiting for our flight to be called. Not knowing when you're picked can make you a little jumpy as the day wears on.

Reading was a popular activity - I swear, one guy started and finished two novelas. I barely got through two magazines - G.I. JOB, and Downtown. Both had some suprisingly good articles.

The internet was available for a fee, but since most people didn't know when they'd get called up, most passed on that little novelty.

TV was a neat little diversion. It's been awhile since I've watched the Price is Right, One Life to Live and Oprah all in the same day. And for some reason I never noticed that Harpo, Oprah's production company, is her name backwards. What a crazy world.

Yours truly was in the final stretch of the last hour - when I got called into the 2nd to the last selection group of the day.

Let's just say that I'm not even at the point where they're asking me background questions yet. I'm a considered candidate juror for jury selection in the 4th round of jury trial selection.

I have to go back tomorrow. Will I be selected on the case tomorrow? Will my 4th jury experience come to a crashing halt? And will I be able to find the stamper to validate my parking in time?

To Be Continued... ;)

No comments: