Monday, January 22, 2007

My Father Didn't Pass On To Me The Fonzie Gene...

There are times when I feel like I am very much my father's son, and other times I wonder whether we're truly related at all. When it comes to the issue of charm and charisma, I think there was something held back that wasn't passed on to yours truly. I was not more aware of this than the time I took a business trip with my father.

We were checking into the hotel for the night, when this lovely 20-something blonde girl appeared behind the Registration Desk. She smiled at the both of us, but I noticed that her eyes seemed to linger on my father - just a tad longer than usual for a stranger to be holding a gaze.

Was she checking him out?

As we're getting the room keys and dealing with room billing and whatnot, my father would exchange playful banter with her, like, "Hey, you don't sound like you're around here. Where are you from?" Or, "That really is a lovely acccent" And she'd just be putty in his hands, flirtatiously answering his silly questions with little giggles and sighs. I tell ya, 5 minutes into it, and she was ready to have his children. It was like watching my father use the "Jedi Mind Trick" on her - to which I wondered why he didn't try to fanagle us better rooms.

Alas, as we walked away, Blonde Girl was still staring at my father like some prey she was getting ready to pounce on. My father's ego was so big right then that it literally pushed me away from him. His smile from ear to ear said it all.

Yeah, he still had "It".

Perhaps the Fonzie gene is dormant in me for now - but I hope it activates by the time I get to his age... ;)

No comments: