Saturday, January 27, 2007

Went To See A Movie, But Saw Something Else Instead...

I went to see "Smokin' Aces" last night - but that's not what this story's about. Oh, if you want my opinion on the film, I'll be more than happy to send you a review.

No, this story is about a "theater-going" experience:

Getting to the theater late, I'm forced to scan for my pal J.K. in the dark. Naturally, I try to blink my eyes to adjust, but the light flickering from the screen is not helping at all. Not wanting to do the old "shout-out-Marco-Polo-style" routine, I walk a bit further up to the front so I can see more of the audience.

And wouldn't you know? Just to piss me off, J.K. was holding up his hand, but it wasn't very high - you know, like in High School when a teacher asks a question but you're not really sure if you want to answer it? It was kinda like that. It was a half-raised, half-assed attempt at getting my attention, to which I immediately bumped into his legs while crossing into the seat next to him.

I said "Excuse Me", but the tone sounded more like, "You're a real F--kwad, you know that?"

Settling into my seat, I was glad no one was sitting in front of me, since the theater didn't have tiered seating.

Just my luck - two guys come rushing into the theater, and guess where they plop down? Of course, the guy that sat in front of me would have the biggest head I'd ever seen on a man, and with hair that looked like he was Kid of Kid 'n Play. I was hoping that he'd slouch after awhile, but no dice.

As the movie progressed, I swear his head was getting bigger and bigger, and it didn't help that he'd be putting on and taking off his glasses every couple minutes. I guess he wasn't sure if he was Nearsighted, Farsighted, or Blind. So, with huge head, giant hair and now an arm blocking my view, I had no choice but to lean to my left and right to catch the action on the screen. I looked like I was swerving through traffic in my seat!

But would I let this get me down? Absolutely not! I figured that after the week I've had, I'm about par for the course, and just lucky that in my life, I can bitch about mundane things like this. But that's what going to the movies is about: sitting in a room full of strangers and engaging in a collective experience.

Though I might think about bringing a pillow with me next time... ;)

No comments: