Wednesday, September 05, 2007

Some Days I'd Rather Have The Office Be Boring...

Some mornings, you just don't really see the day coming at you.

Right before breakfast I got the call.

Our office was flooded last night.

I arrived at the scene to discover half the warehouse was covered in an inch of water, and seeped all the way into the operations center. I immediately ordered stuff to be taken off the ground and water to be mopped up as best as possible.

Then someone came up with the idea of using one of those Wet/Dry Vacs from Home Depot, and man, let me tell you -- if you've got minor flooding happening to you, this thing really does do a great job of sucking water up (Home Depot, I'll be glad to do a testimonial).

While someone cleaned the aisles, I focused on getting all the electrical stuff up off the ground, and in hindsight, perhaps I should have been more careful - I mean, I was surrounded by water, live electrical outlets, and not to mention wet carpeting. But I figured that if the waterline wasn't too far above the outlets, risk of death by electrocution would be minimal.

So I went for it, and only shit my pants afterword. (NOTE: If you find yourself in the same situation, for the love of God, turn off the power. Don't be a lucky idiot like me).

After that, the day was a whole lot of chaos, catching up, and dampness EVERYWHERE. Some of the computers were still in really wet areas, so we kept those offline. It made for really cramped quarters, as four of us were each sharing two computers that there unaffected by the flood. I don't care where you work at -- if you try and work at someone else's desk, it's one of the most disorienting things in the world. 5 Minutes in, and I was begging for my usual "Mise-en-Desk".

Several hours later, the flood has stopped, I'm here banging this away on a colleague's computer, and glad to see water evaporating off the warehouse floor. I guess the hot weather has served a purpose after all.

I come to the stark conclusion that sometimes in life, you just have to be shit on. It was just our turn.

But I'm just glad that not every day is like today... ;)

No comments: