Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Fortune Smiles, If But Briefly...

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying going to college is a bad thing, but I've found that the worst thing after college is paying off all my student loans, which blows the proverbial chunks.

Though I've gotten to a point where my payments are managable and I'm not having to live off Ramen 20 days out of each month, I still cringe a little every time I see my student loan envelopes arrive in the mail. But hey, I guess I'm just paying the price of higher education - literally.

Anyway, about a month ago I received another inocuous-looking letter from my old university. Due in part to a whole round of fund-raising-donation-rousing-calling-me-6-days-in-a-row a.k.a. continuing to bleed me dry, (and because I'd just made another student loan payment), the sight of the envelope made me expound a burst of expletives that would make even Kevin Smith stand back a bit.

I've gotten so used to bad news coming at me from my old alma mater that I was shockingly surprised to find that the envelope did not contain another bill, but a note that said they owed ME money.

Yeah, crazy, right?

So I start examining this thing, looking over the paper carefully, treating it as if it's CSI evidence from an anthrax scare. Satisfied that it wasn't a hoax or my imagination gone haywire, I read through the letter. Apparently, they owed me money from 3 years ago when I was working as a TA that I never collected. And I was counting most pennies that were coming in back then. How could I have missed that? All they were asking me was whether I wanted to pick up a check or just have them send it by mail. Since I REALLY didn't want to drive that far back, I go for the mail option (Actually, I'm not really sure why they had an option at all, it just seems pointless).

About a week after that, I received my check for $275 dollars in backpay. I think I might've done a little dance. This was a sweet victory.

For a split second.

Because I've been trying to be more financially responsible, I ended up using it with my latest loan payment.

I guess it's just fate... but not the fate I thought it'd be!... ;)

No comments: