Sunday, November 19, 2006

Craig is Bond, Let's Move On...

I'm not gonna give anything away here ('cause there have already been people writing full synopsis already and if you really want to know, you should read one of those), and though there are plenty of reviews out and most opinions have been sprawled onto the blogosphere, I thought that I'd just weigh in with my 6 pence and just shoot straight from the hip.

I find it fitting that this film, which has a gambling theme in it, was also taking many gambles of its own - namely in choosing a new Bond that was not at the top of anyone's list for successor to fill such big shoes.

From the very start, Daniel Craig was an underdog. It seemed like he was picked completely out of left-field, God knows where, and directly from "What the F--k?" land. Craig did not fit the archetypes left by Connery, Moore, or even Brosnan, which made his selection even more confounding. I'd say my first reaction was also of puzzlement, but it was a feeling that I didn't linger much on.

However, many didn't feel that way i.e. CraigNotBond.com, whom felt that every day that Craig was on set was another day the death rattle would get louder on our favorite British spy. Rumors and news from the set didn't help matters either - from his injuries on set to his inability to drive stick shift, made for that much more fodder to the gossip mill that Craig couldn't really "bond" with being Bond.

I guess it was probably easier for Brosnan when he took over the role. High expectations were cast on him as well, and fortunately enough, he did not disappoint. His transition was fairly smooth, almost like he was annoited to the role without objection nor hesitation; whereas Craig seemed to have to do a helluva lot more convincing than those before him. And let me just say this - give Craig a chance, and he just might surprise you.

For the record, I saw this film twice - mostly for objectivity in my study of Craig, but in the great fanboy tradition, I really, really, really wanted to watch a ton of action and LOTS of explosions all over again (hey, I'm a guy, what can I say?). The first time I saw it, I'll admit that it was hard to stimmey my brain from thinking about Craig the actor and Craig as Bond, but by the second time around, I forgot about Craig playing a part, and saw only the character of Bond trying his best to become the man he'll eventually be.

Okay, one could argue that Craig failing to convince right out of the gate would be considered a fault against him in the role. But with so much rumor and bad press, I had to block it all out and judge this actor for myself, and I will honestly say that I was not disappointed (hence, the need for a second viewing). My mother also saw the film, and found Craig lacking the "pinache and style" that has been accustomed to all the portrayls of Bond. But isn't that the point? Isn't this Bond supposed to be the brash and bold heroine that still has much to learn before he's the suave superspy that we've grown to love?

In that respect, I think Craig has achieved just that - a diamond for sure, but a diamond still in the rough. Craig gives us a Bond that is flawed and imperfect, with a brutality that has yet to be kept at bay. He has an emotional vulnerability that like him, is erratic and prone to flights of fancy, to which he'll learn not to leave so well unguarded. Bond is ever the patriot, a man that holds Queen and Country in high esteem, yet he doesn't quite see the big picture. He wants to stop evil threats one at a time, but has not seen the potential for going after the bigger fish that swim in more menacing waters. This Bond has much to learn, and school for Craig, is in session.

On the story itself, it remains as faithful to the book as possible. The update to the material hasn't hurt the central plot at all, with plenty of action and explosions to keep the adrenaline going. Some might feel that things seemed scaled back a little in this film. I think it works to its advantage - it's supposed to be Bond's first time out, so before he goes off and blows up a volcano to stop an evil genius, he's going to have to settle for shootouts with henchman for now (you'll know what I'm talking about after you see it).

So, is this film worth catching? I'd say yes, if you feel up for an action-adventure flick that will provide mayhem and explosions for the guys, and definite eye-candy to satisfy the ladies. Though there are many changes happening to this Bond, let's not forget that sometimes change, can be a good thing. And I for one could use a new perspective well shaken, not stirred... ;)

No comments: