Friday, March 02, 2007

Conversations in Air Freight: Why Do You Need to Know That?

The following is a real customer call I took. Only some of the names and parties have been changed to protect their stupidity.

RING!!!


Hello?

Yes, I'm with Company X.

Okay. What can I do for you?

(pause)
Yeah, I guess I'd like to... schedule a pickup?

Not a problem. I can send a driver out to you. What are we picking up?

Um... some boxes?

All right. Where are they going?

(pause)
Excuse me?

Where would you like us to send the materials?

Ummm...

Do you know what country they're going?

(pause, faint sound of head scratching)
Why do you need to know that?

So... I know WHERE I'm supposed to send the boxes.

Can't you just pick them up first?

Yes, I could do that. But if I know where the boxes are going, then I can figure out if there's a flight for them today - if not, I don't have to rush my guy out to you and we can just pick them up tomorrow.

But... I'm just calling you guys to pick the boxes up.

I understand that. But my driver is spread out a bit thin today, and if he doesn't have to make an extra stop, that's all the better.

So, you aren't gonna pick my boxes up?

Again, I'm not saying that. It'd just be helpful to know the destination so we can determine the logistics and start on the paperwork. It's gonna take time to process, and the more information we have, the better we can help you out.

Man, why are you being so difficult!

Sir, honestly, I'm not trying to give you a hard time --

It sure feels like it! I was just told to give you guys a call to pick up some boxes!

Okay. Is there anyone there that knows where the boxes are supposed to be sent?

Ummm...

Anyone at all?

Uh...

If you don't know, just tell me.

Ummm...

Hello? Are you still there?


I'm gonna... have to call you back.


CLICK.

Argh.

No comments: