Tuesday, May 22, 2007

Shake, Rattle and Hum: Story 'bout an old Washing Machine...

I was doing the laundry on Saturday when I suddenly remembered something about my childhood:

I must have been 7 or 8 years old. My family had this old washer/dryer that was always on the verge of coming apart at the seams. Every time the Washer would go into the final spin cycle, it would shake, rattle and hum like an atom bomb going off inside of it. Needless to say, I saw an unconventional opportunity for adventure.

As the Dryer started to do it's "Exorcist" impersonation, I'd hop right on top of it it, holding on for dear life, as if my weight was the only thing keeping the Washer from going nuclear. Sometimes I'd pretend it was a rocket, blasting me off into the cosmos. Other times I'd be the bull rider holding on for as long as I could before the giant "Bull" would throw me off -- but it never did.

Subsequently, when my mother would find me (as my boisterous laughter always gave me away), she'd scold and yell at me only the way a real caring mother could. The thought of me flying off into a wall and injuring myself gave her grief to no end. Utilizing my budding acting talents, I'd pretend to be in such shame and humility, hanging my head low and swearing never, never, ever, to do it again...

... While secretly plotting the next time I'd get a crack at riding the "wild beast".

And Mom, don't worry. I don't ride washing machines anymore.

Just mechanical bulls... ;)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It still scares me when the washer is overloaded and goes into beserker mode.