Friday, July 17, 2009

Slight Jolt in the South Island, But I'm All Right...

In case you didn't get my last update, I've been in New Zealand for travel trip, and yes, there was a massive earthquake that shook the South Island of the country, but I am perfectly fine.

I'm currently in Auckland, NZ, which is located in the northern part of the North Island of the country, a few hundred kilometers away from the earthquake site. Luckily, the tremor occurred in a remote part of the South Island where barely anyone lived, so that was a blessing. A few bottles and some glass broke, but other than a few frayed nerves, the Kiwis continue to go about their lives as usual. Most are more concerned with the current Cricket and Rugby games that are happening than anything else.

The only thing I've been worried about is earthquake ordinances for buildings in NZ, which apparently I can't seem to get a straight answer about. People talk about it being a wake up call, but without the building foundations to back that up, they might as well be ready for a Sichuan-Earthquake-like disaster in the near future. I would really hate to see that.

I'll have some pics to post when I get back, and I'm thinking that maybe I should post some shots from the other places I've been lately. You guys want that?

In any case, I will post the pics from my visit to Hobbiton, the film set from Lord of the Rings, since so many people were wondering if I would do any LOTR stuff like that on this trip -- Stay tuned... ;)

No comments: