Tuesday, July 08, 2008

Shanghai 2008: Hungry For More...

When in Shanghai, soup dumplings are a must. This spot
is a happening joint for just such a delicacy.

This version is first steamed, then deep-bottom fried, giving an
interesting crunchy texture, and soooo very bad for
your health.

Caution: You will lose the roof of your mouth no matter what.

Next version: Regular steamed dumplings. This place is
located in Yu Gardens, another must-see place.

This woman can separate the pieces with her eyes closed,
always the same shape. She's awesome.

Opting for the small order of 12 steam dumplings, again,
just so you know I was there...

The only thing I ate in Shanghai that required a knife
and fork.

Ah, the famous turtle and sea-horse soup. I have video
of me trying this (wait 'til later).

Thai cuisine, Shanghai-style. Consuming this much white
bread at one sitting, even if it's covered in spicy curry,
does not make it a healthy choice...

The good news: Spicy Shrimp is tasty. Bad news:
I couldn't feel my tongue. Still worth it.

A genuine Starbucks knock-off.



A wine bar that serves BBQ with its Pinot-Grigio. An
interesting combination that's easy to overlook.

Believe it or not: Fake Vegetarian Braised Pork, made
with tofu and wheat protein.

Meatballs made with potato-paste and tofu.

Ah, the requisite fast-food shot.

Actual size of a Shanghai Happy Meal.

What happens when you bring Bruce Lee and fried chicken
together. It'll knock the taste right into you.

Living in an alternate reality where Pizza Hut is a revered
eatery. Like Taco Bell in the movie "Demolition Man".

It's a smaller pizza, but packs 4 times the flavor. Everything
tastes better in Shanghai.

Yes, this was the only time where the baristas understood
me perfectly. Venti? No Problem!







Honestly, I have no idea why the top row of drinks are
upside down. But I though you'd like to ponder that
for yourself...

Stay Tuned:
Video of me eating sea-horse!

No comments: